Owning a pool comes with significant responsibilities one of them being pool shopping. Your swimming pool needs to be shocked at least once in a week or more if you have the chance. There are also other conditions that necessitate pool shopping like if the pool is frequently used after you receive large amounts of rain or during that extension period of hot sunny weather. Different chemicals are utilized in this process. Shock treatment is the addition of an oxidizing compound or a mixture of oxidizing compounds to the water in order to destroy chloramines or any other undesirable compound in the pool. You can add chlorine tablets that dissolve in the pool water and combines with bacteria and other organics in the molecular level which neutralizes the harmful contents. Chlorine then becomes inactive after combining with the bacteria to form
combined chlorine. The combined chlorine needs to be removed later on from the swimming pool to keep the pool water safe and clean.
The combined chlorine is removed by shocking the pool, shocking in this case means raising the chlorine level of the swimming pool for a short period high enough so that the combined chlorine is burned up. Shocking the pool oxidizes the chloramines and turns them into gas; the chlorine transforms into gas and cannot be harmful to the people using the pool. There are different types of pool shock that you can be able to use depending on what you see to be favorable.
The examples include the use of calcium hypochlorite shock; this is granulated chlorine and can be found in stores. It is cheaper than the rest and contains about 65% chlorine; it is slow and must first be pre-dissolved by adding twenty liters of water which is also a method used to prevent bleaching. You will have to wait for like eight hours before you swim for it to dissolve in water completely.
There is also lithium hypochlorite which is commonly used in areas that have a high amount of calcium in the water since it does not use calcium. It contains thirty-five percent of chlorine, and it is expensive compared to the others. However, it does not require re-dissolving, but you still need to wait eight hours before you swim.
Potassium Peroxymonosulfate (non-chlorine shock)
Potassium peroxymonosulfate is a non-chlorine shock that is used in bromide pools, but you can still use it in chlorine pools. It does not need to pre-dissolve and only takes fifteen minutes before you can swim in the pool.
You need to understand these types for you to be able to know what type to use and the process that you will need to follow when executing the shock. You should fill a five-gallon bucket with water from the pool and pour the kind of granular shock that you have chosen from the list one thing you should note is that water is never added to chemical but instead chemical should be added to water.
Stir the mixture well to ensure that the mixture is perfect and well agitated for one minute or more to dissolve the pool shock. The filtration system should be running as you slowly pour the bucket of the dissolved shock directly in the front of the return line fitting. You will then observe the dissolved shock water being carried out of the pool by the jet of water which will be coming from the return line. Then pour slowly so that all of the water coming from the bucket is carried out into the pool and does not settle at the bottom of the pool otherwise it will be hard to remove the residue completely. When you are about a quarter down the bucket, fill the bucket with water from the pool and stir it for another minute or more. The shock granules which will be at the bottom of the bucket that did not dissolve in the first session will dissolve. If your pool has a vinyl liner, then you do not want to be left with the undissolved materials on the floor of the pool.
The process is easy to follow but should be applied with caution to avoid instances where the one applying will get it into his or her system later on leading to infections. Pool shocking is quite important because any time human beings enter into the pool they introduce organics and other contaminants in the water, this is through sweat, saliva, skin cells, body lotions, urine and many other ways. Mother Nature is also not left out in the contamination process the leaves fall into the pool and the rain also adds impurities and dilutes the water. These contamination leads to the growth of the bacteria and algae since they feed on the contaminants. It is important to kill bacteria and the algae that are growing in the pool, to keep the pool clean and proper chemical balance. It is also essential in ensuring that you have a safe swimming environment.
You need to shock your pool frequently however most people do not do it during winter. During summer it is essential to shock the pool to maintain the level of chlorine. Choose your chemicals wisely depending on your pool and ensure that you stick to a program that will guarantee that you have a healthy swimming environment free from contamination.