During summer, every individual with a small piece of land thinks about installing an above ground pool for himself/herself or the family. Sadly, there are different types of these pools on the market today. Therefore, we are here to help you get the best above ground pool on the market today.
How to Choose the Right Above Ground Pool
We want to look at the 5 steps of buying the right above ground pool to help you avoid making a purchase that your will regret or one that you don’t need.
1. Consider the Location
First, you need to consider the location you will place your pool. Here, you need to look at the available space, safety, and obstacles. Allow about 3 ft. between your pool and other obstacles or structures. Avoid surfaces with dry wells, cesspools, septic tanks, debris, tree roots, and stumps.
2. Measure the Area
Once you have chosen the location, it is time to measure the space to determine what size of an above ground pool will fit. Some units have buttresses which are support beams that run from the pool wall to the surface. For these types of pool, allows additional 3 ft. when measuring.
3. Choose the Pool Height and Shape
The third step is to choose the pool height and shape. Oval and round are the most popular shapes for this kind of a pool. Round pools measure about 33 ft. in diameter while oval ones measure about 18 ft. by 40 ft. Additionally, above ground pools come in heights of 54, 52, or 48.
4. Decide the Type
The next step is to decide between the 2 main types of above ground pools. These types are: Steel pools and Resin pools. Steel pools usually refer to the ones that have uprights, walls, top rails, and bottom tracks. Resin pools refer to the ones that have steel walls but the other parts are made of resin (a heavy duty plastic).
5. Your Budget
Finally, ask yourself how much you want to spend for your unit. There are different grades for above ground units – high-end, mid-grade, and economy. The major difference between these pools is the size of the verticals and top rail (they get bigger as the grade improves).
Top 10 Best Above Ground Pool on the Market
Here’s what I think are the best above ground pool on the market today:
Intex Easy Set 12 Ft. by 30 Inches Round Pool Set
There are lots of features of this Intex above ground pool that goes for under $500. The first feature is the portable nature of this pool and the enhanced pump suction. It is great to have a product that is easy to carry around your backyard and not limited to a single place. Furthermore, the setting up of this unit is quite easy that if you want to transfer it to another location, it will take you just minutes (you only need to drain it and then move it).
Additionally, when the weather becomes cold, you will be able to dry the pool fast, dry it out, fold it well, and then store it in your basement or garage until next summer. The enhanced suction on this product makes the difference between water clarity and cloudiness. The pool also features dual suction outlets that help the water to flow better.
- Easy for users to carry to the backyard
- Easy to assemble
- Medium-size inflatable unit for small yard
- Suitable for smaller kids or for families making their initial pool purchase
- Instructional DVD included
- Easy maintenance
- Study liner
- Washable filter cartridge
- Needs a completely level ground
Intex 15ft X 48in Metal Frame Pool Set with Filter Pump, Ladder, Ground Cloth & Pool Cover
Kick out the summer heat with this under $1,000 Metal Frame Above Ground Pool Set from Intex. Designed for additional strength, this unit is supported by strong and durable steel frames which are coated with powder for beauty and rust resistance. Triple strong, super-strong laminated sidewalls are enhanced with an all-around band that keeps the frame legs firmly in one place. This pool for backyard will make your yard the place to be during summer as you and your family will play and relax.
It is very easy to install this pool; you only need to get then ideal ground and connect the Krystal Clear Cartridge Filter pump to have the time of your life in clean, cool water. The unit is also equipped with a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter which adds safety – it shuts off the pump when there is a power problem. The other great thing about this above ground pool is that it comes with an instruction DVD for easy installation.
- Ready for water in 45 minutes
- Features an instructional DVD for simpler set up
- Includes Krystal Clear Cartridge Filter pump
- New dual suction outlet fittings
- Easy to assemble
- Perfect size for kids
- Strong frame
- No skimmer
Summer Waves Elite Wicker Print 16′ x 48″ Above Ground Frame Pool Set w/ Pump
Spend the hot season cooling off inside your Summer Waves Elite above ground pool. This complete pool set has everything that you require to install and maintain it so you spend more time relaxing in the water as opposed to buying supplies and accessories. This doesn’t only make the pool to be affordable but also makes it the best value for the money.
The unit also features a SFX1500 Skimmer Plus Filter Pump, ladder, ground cloth, deluxe maintenance kit, and pool cover. The entire system is simple to set up; you will only take 45 minutes and with its long-lasting steel as well as PVC design, it holds up to 5,246 gallons of water. With this amount of water, you will surely live inside your pool all summer.
- 16 ft. by 48” above ground frame pool set
- 1,500 gallons filter pump system
- Durable metal frame withstands heavy-use as well as other elements
- Ready for use in just 45 minutes
- Easy to fold
- Fits even adults
- Easy to set up
- Terrible filter
Intex 18ft X 52in Ultra Frame Pool Set with Sand Filter Pump, Ladder, Ground Cloth & Pool Cover
Have a memorable time with friends and family with the large Intex Ulta Frame Pool Set for adults. Designed for strength, the unit is supported by strong and durable steel frames which are covered with powder to ensure that they remain rust-free. In addition, it boasts of triple strong, super-strong laminated sidewalls which are reinforced with an all-around band (it keep the frame legs firm).
With this unit, you are assured of having the time of your life in your backyard. The unit also comes with a Krystal Clear Sand Filter pump that makes the water to clear. Furthermore, it has a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter which cuts off the power if the current is exposed to water. It is easy to assemble this unit – it will only take 60 minutes and you will be good to go.
- Holds 6,981 gallons of water
- Super-tough laminated sidewalls
- Boasts dual suction outlet fitting
- Holds 8 or more people
- Easy to maintain
- Durable steel frame
- Improved water circulation
- Poor ladder
Intex Rectangular Ultra Frame Pool Set, 24-Feet by 12-Feet by 52-Inch
This is Intex’s best rated swimming pool. It is a rectangular pool set that measures 24 ft. by 52 inches and comes with parts made of the best material on the market today. It also comes with additional features that make it a little expensive. However, it is very easy to assemble the unit – you only need to find the time and space to assemble it.
The set comes with all the vital parts as well as an instructional manual to help you get started. In fact, it comes with a comprehensive DVD that will help you from the start to the end. The pool is pretty big; it is able to fit over 10 adults and it’s just the perfect thing to have in your yard for the summer. In addition, it is one of the best above ground pool that you will find for swimming laps.
- Features 120V, 1,600gph filter pump
- The drain system accept a garden hose
- Includes pool cover, ground cloth, and ladder
- Set up is quite easy
- Good value for your money
- Study walls
- Durable product
- Pool legs might get damaged if the ground isn’t even
Intex 32ft X 16ft X 52in Rectangular Ultra Frame Pool Set with Filter Pump & Saltwater System
With Intex Ultra Frame Pool Set, you are guaranteed of enjoying the best time with your family during the summer. Designed for strength, the unit is supported by durable and strong steel frames which are powder covered for beauty and rust resistance. Your yard will be the best place to hang all summer as you relax and play. Another great feature of this product is the Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump that provides clear, sparkling water. It is one of the best pools to buy.
In addition, it is equipped with a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter that cuts the power whenever there is a current problem. The other notable feature of this above ground pool is that it takes only 90 minutes to install and you will be ready to enjoy your swim.
- Ready for water in 90 minutes
- Features deluxe pool maintenance kit
- New dual suction outlet fitting to improve water circulation
- Features durable and strong steel frames
- Quite durable
- Huge capacity
- Effortless dismantling for storage
- Liners might open
iPool D Set with Heater Combination and Deluxe Filter Pump
This pool includes the iPool, the best in resistance swimming, with an effective heater so that you may enjoy the soothing benefits of warm water in your personal pool. This feature offers you with hours of swimming, at minimal cost with fewer chemicals as well as less space than the customary pools.
The unit also helps to minimize your stress and pain on your joints that usually lead to common spinal and muscular injuries. The other great feature about this product is that it takes only 6 sq. meter of space to fit effectively. It fits anywhere in your yard or even within your garage.
- easily fits into a garage or basement with small 6 sq. meter footprint
- features strong zinc covered galvanized steel frame as well as sturdy 5 layer vinyl covered polyester weave liner
- Patented dual tether system
- Features stainless steel lockable ladder
- Compact size
- Ideal for swimming laps
- Hold a steady level of resistance
- Small size
Embassy Pool 4-1800 PARA100 Above Ground Swimming Pool 18 ft. by 52”
This is an amazing circular pool for an individual that wants a strong alternative for semi-permanent installed pool. It is ideal for partial in ground installation and for installation with decking, although it isn’t the biggest pool around. Due to this feature, this is a good pool for dogs, if you have one at your home.
When it comes to the structure, this is a sturdy pool that is made of the best steel as well as a strong vinyl pool liner. If you carefully level the surface before you set it up, you will not be bothered by problems with pool comfort and structure.
- Corrugated pool wall for vertical strength and flexibility
- 52 inches hot-dipped galvanized copper
- Rugged, baked enamel steel
- Staggered bolt wall closure to offer minimum strength as well as wall stability
- Long lasting
- Easy setup
- Flexible and strong
- Ground leveling is required
Heritage TA 301552GP-DxP 30 ft. by 15 ft. by 52” Taos Complete Above Ground Pool
This is a complex 30ft by 52 inches above ground unit that features everything that you need to get into the water within minutes. This amazing pool boasts of special features such as the Hot Dipped Galvanized G 90 stainless steel surface and wall with a few layers to protect the walls.
The unit also features an amazing wall pattern, a sturdy seven inched painted galvanized steel frame with heavy duty A-frame resin ladder and lap-welded seam. These features make this unit a good pool for unlevel ground. In addition, the unit comes with a 25 years manufacturer warranty as well as free lifetime user support.
- 25 years warranty
- Heavy duty resin ladder
- Strong, seven inches painted galvanized steel edge
- 19 inches sand filter
- Good for pool parties
- Suitable for swimming laps
- Efficient sand filter
- Difficult to set up
Splash Pools Oval Deluxe Pool Package, 30-Feet by 15-Feet by 52-Inch
This product boasts of many features such as a multi-layer protection system, a hot dipped galvanized G-60 wall, and an amazing looking wall design. It also features a large-size metal frame that makes it a strong product.
The other notable feature of this unit is its 15 years manufacturer warranty that guarantees you that it will last longer. It also features a free lifetime customer support. Furthermore, it comes with a study resin ladder which has a lift-off outside stair to prevent unauthorized entry.
- Study resin ladder
- Step-by-step installation video
- Large-size, metal-frame
- Molded resin covers
- Standard through-the-wall skimmer
- Easy to set up
- Strong frame
- Comes with pool cover
- Not the best for kids
What is an Above Ground Pool?
This is a freestanding pool that sits on the ground or is placed a few inches below the ground. It is a permanent structure that is intended to be left up during the year. An above ground pool has a thin ridged wall system that is often made of steel. It is bolted in one part and fit into a trail on the base and top.
This type of pool is made of aluminum or resin as opposed to steel and thus suitable for saltwater (but steel structure above the pool shouldn’t be contaminated with this water). In addition, these types of pools are round or oval because they require equal water pressure at all parts.
What Are the Benefits of An Above Ground Pool?
Here are 5 benefits that you will enjoy when you own an above ground pool.
Cost is perhaps the number one pro of owning this type of a pool. The reasons we will look below will end up saving you hundreds of dollars every year. Smaller pools use fewer chemicals, require less maintenance equipment, and don’t use many supplies that keep your garden watering hole in shape.
Let not its small size fool you, an above ground pool still features many of the same traits found in in-ground pools. Today, they are equipped with waterfalls, water fountains, diving boards, and other features to make your backyard experience more enjoyable.
It will depend on how you set it, but it is not easy for small children and pets to fall into this pool model. In addition, it is easy to cover your above ground pool when it isn’t in use.
If your pool is small, you will use minimal water, which will mean fewer chemicals and thus easy to maintain. What is even amazing is that you may use an ultraviolet disinfection to sanitize your pool.
Above ground pools’ fast installation and small size is a breeze when you compare them with the inground ones. Instead of digging a deep hole in the surface and spending hundreds of dollars on construction alone, above ground pools may be installed in a day.
How to Install Above Ground Pool?
It’s possible to install an above ground pool through DIY. With these simple steps, you will save lots of money and time.
1. Get Some Volunteers
Before you start, call upon your neighbors, friends, or family to get volunteers. Installing this type of a pool is a task that requires 2 to 3 individuals.
2. Prepare the Foundation
Remove any sod that might be under your pool. In addition, clear the grass, such as bamboo grass, Bermuda grass, and nut grass; it might grow under your pool.
3. Level the Ground
The next step is to level the ground where you have removed the sod. Measure the surface using a transit or a level (you can’t determine the level by just looking). Remember that it’s not advisable to install an above ground pool on lower surfaces due to the high water pressure.
4. Ensure there is Adequate Drainage
An above ground pool might cause water to collect in your backyard if there is no proper drainage. Therefore, ensure that there is adequate drainage when installing your pool.
5. Lay the Foundation for the Base
Now it is the right time to lay the foundation for your above ground pool. Clean sand is a good base material for this type of a pool. The sand functions as a barrier between the liner and the ground and aids to protect the liner from roots and rocks.
6. Lay the Foundation for the Frame
Here, use either patio blocks or stones which are sunk into the ground. Place them below your pool buttresses and posts so as to support them. In addition, ensure that all blocks are level in all directions.
7. Assemble the Pool
Now you are ready to assemble your pool. Installation guide for the above ground pools will vary depending on the manufacturer as well as the model (follow the instructions provided in your manual).
8. Create the Cove
This is a vital step for above ground pools. The Cove is a 6 to 8 inches wedge of sand that is built around the inside edge of your pool wall. It prevents the liner from slipping and offers a protective layer between the metal frame and the liner of your pool.
9. Install the Liner
First, inspect the liner. Open the box housing the liner and then spread it out on a clear surface (with no objects). Leave it on the ground for a while to warm the vinyl – it will be easier to work with. Then, carefully install the liner and ensure that there is no air space left between the ground and the liner.
10. Smooth the Surface
Lastly, smooth your pool’s surface by gently pushing it toward the wall. Now, you may fill your above ground pool with water and enjoy your time in cool water.
Above Ground Pool Q&A
Here are some questions and answers that might come in handy before, when, and after buying an above ground pool.
- When is the best time to get an above ground pool? The best time is fall. The idea is to hit the market during offseason; when the demand is low and thus low price.
- What type of pool should you get? There are different models of above ground pools. The best type should be easy to install – they usually have PVC or vinyl walls as well as an inflatable ring that lifts up their walls as you add water.
- What shape of pool do you want? Above ground pools often come in rectangle, oval, circle, and even square shape. The ideal shape will depend on what you want to do with your unit.
- Which brand should you buy? It is advisable to get a well known or famous brand. These firms will handle any issue that might arise with your pool.
- When to open above ground pool? It is recommended to open your pool when the weather begins to get warmer (about 50 degrees) to avoid the development of algae.
- When to close above ground pool? The best time to close your above ground pool is when the weather drops to below 60 degrees for a consistent number of days (3 to 5 days).
- How deep is above ground pools? Generally, the walls of these pools are about 48 inches tall, but the water level is often between 6 to 12 inches below this, making the depth about 3 to 3½ ft.
- Where to drain above ground pool water? Pump the water as far away from your pool’s edge as possible so as not to saturate the soil around the pool.
- Why is above ground pool cloudy? Cloudiness is caused by imbalanced amounts of pool chemicals such as low or high chlorine level, alkalinity, or other sanitizers you might have used in your pool. Other causes include incomplete circulation and slow rate of flow.
- When to cover above ground pool? You should cover your pool during the winter to prevent harsh weather from damaging it. In addition, consider covering your pool after every use, especially if there are small children or pets in your home.
- When to replace above ground pool liner? These liners last about 6-10 years. Therefore, consider replacing them after 6 years or when they begin to leak.
- When to shock above ground pool? Pool shocking should be conducted during the night to avoid the loss of chlorine to the sun.
- When to winterize above ground pool? Ensure that your pool is winterized before the weather gets extremely cold.
Like other investments, there are a lot of things that you should consider when choosing an above ground pool. Luckily, we have already looked at them to help you answer what is the best above ground pool for your need?