Bathroom falls are some leading causes of injuries at home, especially for seniors. As soon as you turn on your shower or run water in the bath, you run the risk of slipping because the floor is wet. Best Shower chairs are designed to provide a safer bathing experience. They are ideal for the elderly and for individuals who are injured or recovering from surgery.
Top 12 Best Shower Chairs
Table of Contents
- 1 Top 12 Best Shower Chairs
- 1.1 1. Drive Medical Plastic Tub Transfer Bench with Adjustable Backrest
- 1.2 2. Medline Shower Chair Bath Seat with Padded Armrests and Back
- 1.3 3. Medical Adjustable Shower Chair Bench with Removable Back
- 1.4 4. Medline Microban Medical Transfer Bench with Antimicrobial Protection
- 1.5 5. Better Living Products White SMART 4 Shower Bench
- 1.6 6. OasisSpace Adjustable Shower Chair with Assist Grab Bar
- 1.7 7. Carex Tub Transfer Bench with Height Adjustable Legs
- 1.8 8. Dr Kay’s Adjustable Height Bath and Shower Chair
- 1.9 9. AquaTeak 15.5-Inch Corner Teak Shower Bench with Shelf
- 1.10 10. MedMobile Bathtub Transfer Bench with Back, Wide Adjustable Seat
- 2 Frequently Asked Questions About Shower Chairs
- 3 Conclusion
If you are looking for a shower chair for yourself or a loved one, you should look at several options before settling on a single choice. We have provided reviews of some of the best shower chairs on the market. These reviews will help you decide which features are most important for you in a shower chair.
1. Drive Medical Plastic Tub Transfer Bench with Adjustable Backrest
This bathtub transfer bench is designed to provide stability and a feeling of independence. The plastic bench and backrest are reversible and will fit any bathroom layout. This product is easy to assemble and does not require any special tools.
The bath seat height adjusts in ½-inch increment with versatile extending legs. The bench seat is quite wide measuring at 26-inches with a depth of about 19-inches. The overall weight of the product is 10-pounds and has extra-large non-slip suction cups on the legs for extra stability.
If you have a loved one who has difficulty getting into the bathtub, consider this transfer bench as a way of giving them back a feeling of independence. You can also rest more easily knowing that they have a sturdy and stable solution for the bathtub.
- Seat height adjusts in ½-inch increments
- Seat width measures at 26-inches
- Large non-slip suction cups on the legs for stability
- Suction cups are hard to release if the bench needs to be moved
2. Medline Shower Chair Bath Seat with Padded Armrests and Back
This shower chair provides a safe and comfortable option for bathing sitting down. The seat height is adjustable in 1-inch increments from 16-inches up to 21-inches. The non-slip feet secures the chair to the tub or shower floor. The chair is rust-resistant, lightweight and easy to clean.
The chair has a sturdy aluminum frame and will support weights up to 350-pounds. The padded armrests on the sides of the chair provide added stability and support when getting on and off of the chair. This chair is a great solution for anyone who needs additional stability and support while taking a bath or shower.
- Aluminum frame
- Non-slip feet
- Supports weights up to 350-pounds
- Padded armrests
- Chair does not have suction cups to secure it to the floor
3. Medical Adjustable Shower Chair Bench with Removable Back
This shower chair is made with heavy-duty anodized aluminum frame and has a weight capacity of 300-pounds. This chair allows individuals with limited mobility or injuries to sit during a bath or shower. This gives them an immediate feeling of independence.
The seat of this chair is about 19 ½-inches wide and has small drainage holes so water does not pool on the chair surface. It is incredibly light and weighs only 6-pounds. Built-in side handles makes it easy to lift or move the chair with little effort. Feel extra secure with the 2-inch wide non-skid rubber tips on the ends of the chair legs.
- Heavy-duty anodized aluminum frame
- Supports up to 300-pounds
- Built-in side handles
- Small drain holes in chair
- Does not have suction cups on the legs so it can slip slightly
4. Medline Microban Medical Transfer Bench with Antimicrobial Protection
This shower chair is designed to help people with mobility challenges to transfer easily into the bathtub. Microban antimicrobial protection is built-in to this chair to prevent the unwanted growth of bacteria, mold and mildew.
This transfer bench supports up to 350-pounds and has a textured, molded backrest and seating surface. It contains holes to allow for water drainage and the suction feet grip the tub floor for added stability and safety.
The chair is made to be placed in the tub with all 4 legs inside, or you can place the bench sideways with 2 legs outside and 2 inside. This gives you the ultimate flexibility to position the chair to suit your needs the best.
- Microban antimicrobial protection
- Supports up to 350-pounds
- Textured, molded backrest and seating surface
- Drainage holes
- If the tub floor is not even with the bathroom floor, water may run out onto the floor
5. Better Living Products White SMART 4 Shower Bench
This is an extra-large bench seat which will hold up to 300-pounds maximum. The chair is made of strong and durable aluminum legs. It has a non-slip textured surface and non-skid rubber feet.
There is a convenient handle in the middle of the seat that doubles as a drain for excess water. The chair is rust-proof and easy to assemble. You can have it put together and ready to use in just a couple of minutes.
- Supports 300-pounds
- Convenient middle handle acts as a water drain
- Legs are made of aluminum
- Bench height is non-adjustable
6. OasisSpace Adjustable Shower Chair with Assist Grab Bar
This chair is lightweight and is constructed with an aluminum frame. It can support up to 300-pounds in weight. Angled legs provide stability for the shower chair. The legs are capped with anti-skid, non-slip rubber tips for added safety and security.
This shower chair comes with an independent 12-inch medical grade shower handle. The strong suction cup design works on virtually any surface and supports up to 250-pounds. This product is perfect for those who have mobility challenges or are recovering from a surgery or injury.
- Supports up to 300-pounds
- Angled legs
- Aluminum frame
- Includes a 12-inch medical grade shower handle
- The legs have a narrow footprint and not a lot of grip surface
7. Carex Tub Transfer Bench with Height Adjustable Legs
This shower transfer chair has an adjustable seat height which makes it easy to level the bench to the perfect height. There are oversized slip-resistant tips covering the bottom of the legs for stability.
The chair is designed so one side sits outside of the tub. Although this chair is compact, it can support up to 300-pounds of weight. It has a reversible seat back so you can place this in the tub for left-handed or right-handed entry.
This chair even disassembles quickly if you need to store it or travel with it. You no longer have to leave the comforts of home behind!
- Disassembles quickly for easy storage
- Adjustable seat height
- Holds up to 300-pounds
- Reversible seat back for left-handed or right-handed entry
- Doesn’t allow for a shower curtain to be used in the tub
8. Dr Kay’s Adjustable Height Bath and Shower Chair
This chair is compact enough that it will fit in even small tubs and showers. It has an anti-slip platform and wide base to give you much needed stability while sitting on the chair. The chair height adjusts from 12.5-inches up to 18.5-inches.
The chair weighs only 4-pounds but can support up to 250-pounds in weight. It has built-in side handles and the legs are supported with a cross-beam to add extra stability. The seat of this chair is molded from heavy-duty anodized aluminum and is resistant to corrosion and rust. This chair will last you for many years to come!
- Height adjusts between 12.5-inches and 18.5-inches
- Chair weighs only 4-pounds
- Chair support weights up to 250-pounds
- Legs are supported with a cross-beam for stability
- Chair seat is narrow for large people
9. AquaTeak 15.5-Inch Corner Teak Shower Bench with Shelf
Add some style and class to your bathroom with a solid teak wood shower bench! The bench is made of all stainless steel non-corroding hardware and it has adjustable rubber gripping feet for stability. The bench measures 15.5-inches by 15.5-inches and is 18-inches tall.
This bench is naturally water-resistant and very durable. It can be used for both indoor or outdoor purposes. This amazing bench comes with a 5-year warranty and is a risk-free option for you to consider! Bring the spa to your home with this beautiful corner teak bench!
- Solid teak wood bench
- Stainless steel hardware
- Adjustable rubber padded feet
- Varnish may come off and stain grout in the shower
10. MedMobile Bathtub Transfer Bench with Back, Wide Adjustable Seat
This bench transfer seat from MedMobile offers 5 different seat heights from 16.5-inches to 20.5-inches. The seat back can be assembled for left-hand or right-hand applications giving you plenty of flexibility for your needs. The legs have sure-grip tips on the bottom to give you added stability and safety.
The seat is made of plastic and the legs are made of sturdy, rust-proof aluminum. The bench is designed to have two legs outside of the tub. This gives you the ability to transfer easily from a wheelchair onto the bath seat. This chair is easy to clean and is an attractive white color which will complement any bathroom decor.
- Adjustable seat height
- Seat back can be assembled for left-hand or right-hand applications
- Wide sure-grip tips on the ends of the legs
- Not easy to assemble
Frequently Asked Questions About Shower Chairs
There are many types of shower chairs including transfer benches and sliding seats. Once you have identified the features you want included in your shower chair, you can choose the best shower chair that will fit your needs. Here are a couple of items to be aware of before you make your final selection.
How Much Are Shower Chairs?
Shower chairs range in cost from around $50 on up to several hundred dollars. The more features you have on a shower chair, the higher the price will likely be. If you are recovering from an injury or surgery, you may only need a basic chair to sit on while taking a shower. You can easily purchase a simple chair for under $50.
Where to Buy Shower Chairs?
One of the easiest ways to buy a shower chair is to research online and purchase one that can be shipped to you. The only downside of this approach is that you cannot physically try out the chair before you buy it.
Another option is to go to a medical supply store in your local area. This will allow you to see several options and pick the shower chair that suits your needs the best.
It is easy to slip in the shower when the floor is wet. If you are elderly or have an injury, it is much easier for you to lose your balance and fall. Shower chairs can provide extra stability when taking a bath or shower giving you added peace of mind and safety. If you are sitting down, it is pretty difficult to slip and fall!