Leaves, bugs, and debris in your pool make it look ugly, stain its surface, consume its chemicals, and even affect its water balance. So, what you need is the best pool skimmers because they are important apparatus for your swimming pool maintenance and general pool water filtering and draining operations.
In addition to the skimmers which are installed in your pool, you might also need additional manual skimmers, surface cleaners, and automatic skimmers with handy poles and durable fine mesh. These apparatus will make your pool look attractive once again in no time.
Let us look at pool skimmers buyer’s guide and their top picks and reviews for 2019 to help you make the right decision when picking your skimmers.
Best Pool Skimmers Buyer’s Guide
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Pool Skimmers Buyer’s Guide
- 2 Pool Skimmers Top Picks and Reviews for 2021
- 2.1 Stargoods Pool Skimmer – Net Bag Leaf Cleaning and Heavy Duty Cleaner Tool
- 2.2 ProTuff Pool Net Leaf Skimmer Rake
- 2.3 POOLWHALE Leaf Rake with Double Layer Deep-Bag Heavy Duty Mesh Net
- 2.4 WWDPOOL Heavy-Duty 17.5 Professional Pool Leaf Skimmer Rake Net
- 2.5 PoolDozer Leaf Rake Catcher with Reinforced Deep Mesh Skim Bag
- 2.6 Pool Skimmer Net with Heavy-duty Telescopic 16 Feet Pole
- 2.7 Swimline 8039SL Heavy Duty Leaf Skimmer Snap Adapt Handle and Molded Frame
- 2.8 Above Ground Pool Deluxe Wall Mount Automatic Skimmer
- 2.9 Hayward SP1091LX Dyna-Skim Above-Ground Pool Skimmer
- 2.10 Intex Deluxe Wall Mount Pool Surface Skimmer
- 2.11 PoolSkim Pool Skimmer and Pool Cleaner
- 2.12 Dunnrite Hydro-Net Remote Controlled Pool Skimmer
- 2.13 SkimmerMotion Automatic Pool Skimmer, Cleaner, and Clarifier
- 2.14 Gator AutoSkim – Automatic Pool Skimmer, Clarifier, and Cleaner
- 3 Our Recommendation of Top Skimmer
- 4 How Pool Skimmers Work
- 5 FAQs About Pool Skimmers
- 6 Final Verdict
Pool skimmers play vital roles in cleaning your pool hence you should make them your number one necessity for your swimming pool. Making an informed decision ensures that you get skimmers that last longer and make cleaning a breeze and simple.
The things and factors that you should consider before you pick your skimmers include:
Types of Swimming Pool
The type of swimming pool you own will be the first factor that you should consider when buying the skimmers, and then you need to determine the type of skimmers that will suit your pool’s need.
- Above Ground Pool Skimmers – Generally, above ground pool skimmers have safety covers. The way these apparatus interact with your pool and its pump is different. Additionally, above ground pool skimmers are usually attached with bolts and screws.
- In Ground Pool Skimmers – These types of pool skimmers are fixed in the concrete of your pool sides, just below the water line.
You should know the kind of pool you own before you buy these apparatus. This will prevent you from buying the wrong skimmers.
Types of Pool Skimmers
Each of the three types of pool skimmers we have discussed below is suitable for either in- or above ground swimming pools. Ensure that you buy skimmers that are designed for your pool type or they might not work effectively or might cause extreme wear on the pump system.
- Manual Skimmers – Manual skimmers are just fine mesh nets on poles. These types of apparatus don’t use power other than people to maneuver them, but they aren’t recommended for filtering small particles (just large leaves, stones, and other debris).
- Automatic Skimmers – These skimmers connect to your pool pump inlet. They are propelled around the surface of your pool by small propellers or paddles that are driven by water when it enters through the hose. Some of these apparatus have randomized movements that prevent them from becoming tangled in one corner of your pool.
- Self-Contained Skimmers – These are self-contained auto floating apparatus. They are powered by the sun, which is collected by solar panels. They work only when the sun is shining, cost a lot more, and save your power usages.
Manufacturer or Brand
The manufacture of the skimmers isn’t a major factor that you should consider when buying your skimmers but it is very important. Some brands are better than others. Some are the leaders when it comes to providing reliable and durable apparatus.
Mode of Operation
The bottom and surface of your swimming pool require regular cleaning. Some pool skimmers can only clean the bottom of your pool while others can only clean the surface. Some apparatus can handle both the bottom and the surface of your pool. Choose the one that meets your needs.
Cost of the Pool Skimmers
The buying price of skimmers varies from affordable products to not so affordable ones. Set your budget for your skimmers and compare their features. Some of the apparatus might be expensive but offer value for money by lasting longer and being efficient when cleaning. You might also come across effective cheaper options.
Type of System Preferred
Generally, there are 2 types of systems for pool skimmers. They can either be automatic or manual skimmers. Auto skimmers operate independently while manual ones require human assistance. The decision on which one to buy will depend on whether you want to be involved in the cleaning process. The frequency of cleaning your pool might also determine the preferred system.
Skimmers Compatibility and Features
These factors mainly apply to automatic pool skimmers. The measurements of the extension parts and joints should be well-matched with your pool sections. These apparatus are attached to the side walls. The walls should be able to hold your skimmers in the right position. The skimmers should also be easy to install.
Durability/ Long Lasting
The material used to make the skimmers contribute to their functionality and durability. The plastic material needs to be heavy duty and sturdy. For these apparatus, the most critical sections that you should consider are the frames, the mesh, and the pole.
The mesh size is also vital since it determines the size of particles that your skimmers will collect. Finally, all the sections of your skimmers should be easy to replace in case of loss or breakage.
Here are our picks for the Best Pool Skimmer you can buy:
- Best overall: Hayward SP1091LX Dyna-Skim Above-Ground Pool Skimmer
- Best above ground pool skimmers: Above Ground Pool Automatic Skimmer
- Best automatic pool skimmers: PoolSkim Pool Skimmer and Pool Cleaner
- Best pool skimmer net: Stargoods Pool Skimmer Net Bag Leaf
- Best pool skimmer for leaves: POOLWHALE Leaf Rake Skimmer
- Best pool skimmer for fine particles: SkimmerMotion Automatic Pool Skimmer
- Best pool surface skimmer: Gator AutoSkim Automatic Pool Skimmer
Pool Skimmers Top Picks and Reviews for 2021
Here are the top pool skimmers on the market today.
Stargoods Pool Skimmer – Net Bag Leaf Cleaning and Heavy Duty Cleaner Tool
Stargoods is made of a durable ABS plastic frame that ensures it lasts for years. Its borders are curved and sturdy and, as well as working effectively, the unit doesn’t damage the liners of your swimming pool. When it comes to ease of use, this product prides itself on having a universal holder that is compatible with most telescopic poles.
The unit features one of the biggest surfaces you will ever get on a skimmer that enables you to clean your pool faster. The best feature, it has a flat area that makes it easier to remove debris when cleaning.
- Dimensions: 17.7 x 0.8 x 9.8 inches
- Weight: 10.6 ounces
- Universal holder
- Made of ABS plastic material
- Tapered front lip
- There is no pole handle
ProTuff Pool Net Leaf Skimmer Rake
ProTuff Pool Net Leaf Skimmer Rake is constructed with a super strong aluminum alloy frame that does not twist, bend, or break under heavy load. Its strength is enhanced by a winged handle that provides it with stability. The other notable feature of this unit is that it’s compatible with most telescoping poles and it comes with a 100% lifetime guarantee.
Another great feature of this skimmer is the deep, long-lasting, and abrasion-free nylon bag which is better than the double catcher net provided by most companies. The skimmer is able to resist mold and mildew and is easy to move.
- Dimensions: 19 x 16 x 1 inches
- Weight: 1.2 pounds
- Easy Maneuverability
- Ideal for all kinds of pools
- Prevents scratching of pools
- Not recommended for picking silt
POOLWHALE Leaf Rake with Double Layer Deep-Bag Heavy Duty Mesh Net
This POOLWHALE is equipped with an extraordinarily powerful 18’ rigid aluminum alloy frame. It has a heavy-duty and high-grade plastic rim strong enough to work with all types of pools and protect against scratching the pool surfaces.
The featured abrasion-proof, reliable and durable nylon swimming pool bag is sturdy and more abrasion-resistant than the dual-layer polypropylene net utilized by many other manufacturers.
This POOLWHALE is an ideal skimmer for leaves, which can be used effortlessly with the current pool leaf skimmer to trap all tiny debris from the pool floor and surface.
- Dimensions: 18 x 16 x 2 inches
- Weight: 8 ounces
- Comes with a strong and double-stitched nylon
- Featured plastic block to prevent floating
- Has EZ clip for easy connection with poles
- Some customers complain about the quality
WWDPOOL Heavy-Duty 17.5 Professional Pool Leaf Skimmer Rake Net
The WWDPOOL Heavy-Duty pool leaf rake is a professional grade 17.5 by 12 deep bag easy to use for everybody. It is a super-strong pool skimmer rake made with a robust and sturdy plastic frame.
The tapered front edge helps greatly in trapping contaminants with ease. This gadget is compatible with the pool filter pump to ensure fast and swift pool skimming.
The WWDPOOL Heavy-Duty is specially designed for fine particles and an effective pool skimming job. It has enough space to gather more dirt and debris to inhibit filter clogging.
- Dimensions: 19.5 x 18 x 1.5 inches
- Weight: 1.05 pounds
- Equipped with fine mesh
- Has enough space to collect debris
- Tapered front edge eases debris collection and prevents clogging
- Does not include pole
PoolDozer Leaf Rake Catcher with Reinforced Deep Mesh Skim Bag
This PoolDozer skimmer leaf rake is easy to use to keep your pool clean with less stress. The featured innovative handle and its double-stitched net can cope with heavy usage without any problems making them suitable for dog hair in the aboveground pool.
This item has a sturdy and durable aluminum-coated frame with rounded edges and a deep mesh container. It comes with durable accessories for convenient pool maintenance. The Fine Mesh bag captures all large and small residues, such as leaves, hair, and other contaminants.
- Dimensions: 19.75 x 15.6 x 1.25 inches
- Weight: 1.11 pounds
- The item is easy to handle
- Perfect for all above ground pools
- The reinforced net traps all contaminants
- Needs additional pole
Pool Skimmer Net with Heavy-duty Telescopic 16 Feet Pole
An adequately sanitized swimming pool requires fewer vacuum filters and pumps, minimizing gadget wear and tear and saving energy. This universal pool skimmer fits for bugs in the pool water.
The bar has a 1-1/4-inch diameter joint end, which is the general size for standard accessories. With this diving net, you will have more time to use the pool or pond and minimal time cleaning it. The 16-ft long shaft and 19.5-inch pool net enable you to clean your pool quickly and easily.
- Dimensions: 99.6 x 15.8 x 1.4 inches
- Weight: 3.84 pounds
- Features large capacity for swift and easy results
- Comes with a high-grade aluminum pole
- Has deep and strong skimmer net
- The bracket can lose at any time
Swimline 8039SL Heavy Duty Leaf Skimmer Snap Adapt Handle and Molded Frame
The Swimline 8039SL skimmer measures 21-inch in length by 16-inch width. It features a strong, heavy-duty plastic frame and comes with a fine mesh basket. Its basket can trap both small and big debris, making your pool to be clean.
The frame of 8039SL can fit different poles. The front edge of the apparatus is tapered enabling easy scooping of debris and leaves.
- Dimensions: 21 x 16 x 1.5 inches
- Weight: 12.8 ounces
- Very affordable
- Pretty lightweight
- Easy to use and sturdy
- Not durable
Above Ground Pool Deluxe Wall Mount Automatic Skimmer
Intex Above Ground Pool Deluxe Auto Skimmer works through the use of venture principle. One side of the hose is joined to the skimmer and the other to your swimming pool outlet where the pool’s water returns to your pool through the pump. The skimmer helps catch leaves and debris before they can get to the bottom of your pool.
This apparatus work with your pool’s filter pump for faster skimming. The unit is uniquely designed and does an effective job skimming your facility and its basket is large enough to collect a reasonable amount of dirt. This prevents clogging of the filters.
- Dimensions: 23 x 8.5 x 9.5 inches
- Weight: 4.12 pounds
- Automatically removes dirt
- Easy to mount
- Made of high-quality materials
- Brackets get lose
Hayward SP1091LX Dyna-Skim Above-Ground Pool Skimmer
Hayward SP1091LX is one of the most trustworthy and reliable units on the market today. It comes with a huge basket that collects debris and leaves, ensuring that your pool is cleaned faster and more effectively. The product is made of a high-quality ABS material and has a top and front basket access and easy disconnect of pipes.
The other great feature of SP1091LX is the removable weir (snap-in). The best thing, this skimmer comes with all the things that you will require when installing it.
- Dimensions: 12.8 x 10.2 x 8.2 inches
- Weight: 4.8 pounds
- Ideal for large pools
- Constructed from high-quality ABS material
- Comes with a removable weir
- Doesn’t have a winter plate
Intex Deluxe Wall Mount Pool Surface Skimmer
This product saves you effort and time when cleaning your swimming pool. The skimmer attaches directly to your pool’s filtration system to easily and quickly stop debris and leaves before they reach the bottom of your pool.
The unit works well with your pool’s filter pump for faster, auto surface cleaning, so it needs a pump of at least 800 gph flow rate. The unit is made of long-lasting polypropylene plastic material and comes with an easy to clean basket which is also easy to remove.
- Dimensions: 13 x 8.5 x 95 inches
- Weight: 4.12 pounds
- One year warranty
- Durable polypropylene material
- Very effective
- Requires a pump with above 800 gph flow rate
PoolSkim Pool Skimmer and Pool Cleaner
This is an award-winning skimmer that boasts of a durable patented design. The product is durable since it is made from high-quality polyurethane and PVC material and connectors. It works well with other cleaners to provide a shiny pool.
This unit rests on the waterline and sucks dirt on the surface, including bugs, leaves, seeds, and grass, making a unit that offers value for the money. The best thing, this skimmer saves you energy, hence electricity bill.
- Dimensions: 9 x 9 x 9 inches
- Weight: 4 pounds
- Has an easy-to-clean bag
- Easy to use and light
- Can be used around the clock
- Not perfect for small debris
Dunnrite Hydro-Net Remote Controlled Pool Skimmer
With Dunnrite Hydro-Net, pool cleaning will become a joy. The product has a speedy boat construction that is run via a remote control to reach a maximum length of 100 ft. The best thing, you can use this skimmer non-stop for 5 hours before the battery is discharged completely.
- Dimensions: 24 x 20 x 2 inches
- Weight: 10 pounds
- Has a remote control
- Great design
- Enjoyable to use
- Not durable
SkimmerMotion Automatic Pool Skimmer, Cleaner, and Clarifier
The product removes all particles and debris, smaller than an inch, from your swimming pool surface without requiring any chemicals. Actually, the skimmer is able to remove particles and debris before they reach the bottom of your pool.
The unit moves in the same direction as your vacuum cleaner in order to cover the entire pool. It was designed to be sleek, compact, and effective and boasts of an aesthetic design which is attractive.
- Dimensions: 9 x 4.5 x 9 inches
- Weight: 2.5 pounds
- Made of high-quality material
- An effective product
- Removes all particles and debris
- Uses much energy
Gator AutoSkim – Automatic Pool Skimmer, Clarifier, and Cleaner
Gator AutoSkim is a product that cleans your pool surface within seconds. It moves slowly around your facility and it is even able to reach all the corners of your pool. It doesn’t depend on the water flow or wind, hence able to work even when the weather is calm to collect bugs, pollen, leaves, debris, and dust.
The skimmer is able to work with most suction types of cleaners and recycles the water to the filtration system.
- Dimensions: 11.2 x 9.2 x 9.7 inches
- Weight: 4.01 pounds
- Cleans your pool effectively
- Collects small particles
- Able to recycle the water
- Not compatible with pressure cleaners
Our Recommendation of Top Skimmer
Swimline 8039SL Heavy Duty Leaf Skimmer Snap Adapt Handle and Molded Frame is a top skimmer that boasts of great features including a strong, heavy-duty plastic frame, a fine mesh basket, fits with different poles, and collects small and big debris.
How Pool Skimmers Work
Pool skimmers draw in water from the waterline of your pool, where most elements, such as body oils, sunscreen, debris, and hair, dwell. Skimmers are uniquely designed to pull the upper 1/3 inch of your swimming pool water. Their suction power is very light such that you can’t notice when swimming.
Important elements of these apparatus are the floating barriers, which are hanging doors located inside the skimmers’ opening. They are attached at the bottom and help to make sure that the water entering the skimmers is limited to only the top layer, optimizing efficiency while maximizing the number of debris collected from your swimming pool.
Additionally, the angle of these barriers ensures that the contaminants can’t get out of the skimmers. Once the debris and contaminants pass through the barriers, they get into collecting baskets, which trap huge elements of debris such as leaves and twigs.
Attached to these baskets are the suction pipes, which are the driving power of the skimmers. Lastly, skimmers have equalizer lines which prevent them from sucking air when the water level decreases.
FAQs About Pool Skimmers
Q: Why should I buy pool skimmers?
A: All swimming pools get dirty. You might implement all the measures you want but something will eventually get into your pool. You might use the best cover, you might have it on most of the time, and you can even tell everyone to shower before they dive into your pool, but still, you will still find debris in your pool. This debris can affect your swimming pool pump system as well as the filter.
Q: How regularly should I clean my swimming pool with my pool skimmers?
A: That will depend on the amount of debris getting into your swimming pool. If your pool is located under some trees, then you might need to clean it daily to remove the falling leaves. Alternatively, if you have an auto skimmer, you can let it run continuously.
Q: How do I maintain my swimming pool skimmers?
A: For manual skimmers, simply clear out dirt from the mesh using a garden hose. Rinse your skimmers and then leave them under the sun, to kill all the bacteria.
For automatic skimmers, ensure that you empty them regularly and clean the container if you see any sign of clogging.
Nobody likes a dirty swimming pool, not your visitors, and especially not the pump system. If the pumps get dirty and clogged up, they can cost your thousands of dollars to repair, and even more dollars to replace. The best pool skimmers will ensure that your swimming pool is not only clean but also inviting. They will turn it into a nicer place for relaxing and swimming.