Spending time in a hot tub during the winter season can often be one of the most relaxing and enjoyable experiences. However, the winter can take a toll on your hot tub if it isn’t properly covered or protected. Snow, ice and freezing temperatures can severely damage and deteriorate your hot tubs ability to perform at peak efficiency if one is not careful.
Hot tub covers offer the best form of protection for winter and for snow. However, with so many options available on the market it begs the question What is the best hot tub cover for winter and for snow?
Selecting the right hot tub cover for your needs requires the right information in regards to quality, functionality, design, and price. This article reviews the 8 best hot tub covers available online based on customer reviews, supplier credibility, and overall price and quality.
The 8 Top-Rated Hot Tub Covers
Table of Contents
- 1 The 8 Top-Rated Hot Tub Covers
- 1.1 1. CoverMates – Square Hot Tub Cover – Cap 92W x 92D x 14H – Classic Collection
- 1.2 2. MySpaCover Hot Tub Cover and Spa Cover Replacement- 5 Inch taper, Any Shape Any Size up to 96″
- 1.3 3. ULT Cover 100% Waterproof 600D Polyester Square Hot Tub Cover Outdoor SPA Covers 85 x 85 inch
- 1.4 4. Classic Accessories 55-886-045101-EC Hot Tub Cover, Large
- 1.5 5. Classic Accessories 55-585-011501-00 Veranda Square Hot Tub Cover, Medium
- 1.6 6. Heavy Duty Hot Tub Cover Wind Straps
- 1.7 7. Spa Cover Cap Thermal Spa Cover Protector – 7 x 7 Feet x 12 Inches
- 1.8 8. BeyondNice Hot Tub Cover and Spa Cover, 4-inch
- 2 Types of Hot Tub Covers
- 3 Things to Consider Before Purchase
- 4 The Best Hot Tub Cover for Winter?
Features, benefits, price, service, warranty and reviews, play an important role when determining the right top cover for your hot tub. After careful selection, this guide presents the 8 best hot tub covers each with its own unique advantages and disadvantages.
These reviews are aimed at helping customers make better choices when selecting a hot tub cover that best meets their overall needs.
The reviews include the features and benefits of each product as well as their weaknesses so you can make more informed buying decisions.
1. CoverMates – Square Hot Tub Cover – Cap 92W x 92D x 14H – Classic Collection
- 2-year warranty
- Offers all-weather protection
- Primarily used to protect existing insulated cover
- Elastic band around the bottom keeps the cover from being blown away
- Fairly inexpensive
- Easy to install and remove
- Does not offer any insulation on its own
- It isn’t waterproof
Covermates square hot tub cover is designed to extend the life of your diving board by protecting it against the elements all year round. The cover is constructed using high-quality commercial grade vinyl and polyester lining that offers protection against snow, ice, sun, rain and debris keeping your hot tub insulated cover underneath looking good as new.
The ideal choice if you are looking for a cover that fits well on square shaped hot tubs and can withstand the elements all year round. The Covermate is the best way to ensure that your more expensive insulated covers stay in pristine shape while keeping hot tub water warm even in the coldest of winters.
2. MySpaCover Hot Tub Cover and Spa Cover Replacement- 5 Inch taper, Any Shape Any Size up to 96″
- Well-reputed manufacturer
- Custom made to ensure perfect fit up to 96 inches
- High-quality durable construction
- 5-year warranty
- Easy to install and use
- Heavily insulated for unmatched heat retention
- A tad on the expensive side
MySpaCover is a well-renowned spa cover supplier that custom designs spa covers to fit hot tubs of all shapes and sizes. These hot tub and spa covers are made from high-quality materials that not only retain heat but are also highly durable at withstanding nature’s elements.
Its well-thought-out design combined with the use of premium heavy duty materials makes this one of the most durable and reliable hot tub covers on the market. The heavy insulation keeps heat from escaping resulting in substantial energy savings.
3. ULT Cover 100% Waterproof 600D Polyester Square Hot Tub Cover Outdoor SPA Covers 85 x 85 inch
- 5-year warranty
- Excellent value for the price
- Heavy duty construction makes for a tight and easy fit
- UV resistant design
- Easy to use and maintain
- Waterproof and breathable
- Some issues with clips not being able to withstand high winds
- Does not offer any form of insulation for heat retention
This ULT cover offers the ideal protection for both your hot tub and your hot tub cover. The UV resistant material protects the exterior of the hot tub from harsh sunlight while the water resistant and heavy duty polyester fabric protects the insulated cover from the elements.
The ULT cover also offers much in terms of functionality and practicality. The side vents on the cover help in reducing condensation and wind lofting while the elastic hem cord offers a tighter more custom fit.
Great value for the price! This hot tub cover is sure to protect your existing insulated hot tub from harsh winters and hot summers, substantially increasing their lifespan and years of use.
4. Classic Accessories 55-886-045101-EC Hot Tub Cover, Large
- Limited lifetime warranty
- Well-established brand
- Practical and functional
- Excellent value for money
- Easy installation and use
- Large size ideal for most hot tubs
- UV stabilized coating and water-resistant
- Limited insulation to protect from heat loss
The Classic Accessories hot tub cover helps to protect the expensive hot tub heat cover underneath from all forms of debris and weather damage extending the useful life of both your hot tub and hot tub cover.
It is made of high-quality material that is UV stabilized to protect against harsh sunlight reducing fade and increasing durability. The cover itself is well designed with in-built vents to prevent wind lofting and condensation even in extreme weather conditions.
5. Classic Accessories 55-585-011501-00 Veranda Square Hot Tub Cover, Medium
- Elastic hem cord makes for a tighter fit
- Offers a 3-year manufacturer warranty
- Easy installation and use
- Extremely cost-effective
- Fits most medium square-shaped hot tubs
- The light color makes stains more visible
- It is not completely waterproof
- Susceptible to tears around corners especially during high winds
An extremely affordable and useful solution for extending the life of your more expensive hot tub heat covers. The Classic Accessories Veranda hot tub cover is designed to be both functional and durable.
Made from heavy-duty polyester fabric this hot tub cover offers protection from rain, snow, ice and debris ensuring that your hot tub is protected from the elements all year-round.
At such a reasonable price this cover is almost a no-brainer and a must have for any hot tub owner as it helps to extend the life of the original heat covers that can cost upwards of $500.
6. Heavy Duty Hot Tub Cover Wind Straps
- Easy fit storm straps
- Protects cover from wind lofting
- Adjustable length allows it to fit hot tub covers of any size
- Easy to install and use
- Made from heavy duty webbing
- Comes with all required mounting hardware
- The locking latches are a bit below par in terms of quality
If you own a hot tub and live in an area that has frequent high winds a hot tub cover wind strap might just be the solution to your problems. It is never a good sight when you see your expensive hot tub cover blown by the wind during a storm overnight and replacing such a cover can be a costly affair.
Heavy duty hot tub cover wind straps are made to be fully adjustable so that they are able to fit hot tubs of all sizes. The buckles and locking latches help keep your hot tub cover grounded preventing it from being blown away even in the worst of storms.
7. Spa Cover Cap Thermal Spa Cover Protector – 7 x 7 Feet x 12 Inches
- Ideal for winters
- Silver color helps in the melting of snow
- UV resistant and waterproof
- Easy installation and use
- Constructed from highly durable woven polyethylene
- Helps retain some heat
- 1-year warranty
- Can be blown off in high winds
The Spa Cover Cap Thermal Spa Cover is a quality item that is designed to withstand even the harshest cold weather conditions. The silver color is UV protected to safeguard against sunlight while also helping in the melting of snow and ice.
This hot tub cover is designed specifically for use in winter months when there is heavy snow and ice. Its durable woven polyethylene material with a 12-inch overlap helps in better heat retention adding to the effectiveness of your existing thermal cover.
If you are in the market for a cover that is tailor-made for winter weather look no further!
8. BeyondNice Hot Tub Cover and Spa Cover, 4-inch
- Well-reputed manufacturer
- Backed by a 5-year warranty
- Custom designed for a more tailored fit
- 4-inch thick insulation to protect against heat loss
- UV and mildew resistant vinyl
- Comes in many colors and design choices
- The tie down straps are not the best quality
- A little pricey
BeyondNice is a reputable manufacturer of hot tub covers and has been in business for over 30 years. Their custom designed hot tub covers offer the perfect fit and they are able to manufacture and deliver orders in under 15 days.
Even though this cover might be a bit expensive as compared to others on this list it does offer proper insulation and a 5-year warranty. The custom design and features offer many choices in terms of color, size, shape and functionality.
The ideal choice if you want a hot tub cover that matches your existing hot tubs size and color at a fairly affordable price.
Types of Hot Tub Covers
Different hot tub covers are designed for different purposes. However, hot tub cover can be generally categorized into four types:
Most of the covers reviewed on this guide are soft covers that are popular, easy to use and affordable. Soft covers are usually made from softer materials like vinyl, polyethylene, plastic, polyester, foam and so forth.
A modern type of cover that uses energy from the sun to heat up water in the hot tub during the day and prevent heat from escaping during the nights. Although expensive they can greatly help in reducing power bills.
Hard Shell Covers
These form of covers are made from a hard outer shell that is often latched onto the hot tub via buckles or locks. They are much heavier in weight and are more expensive than soft covers.
These covers offer all year protection for both your hot tub and your hot tub cover. They are usually quite large and cover both the top and the side of your hot tub to offer complete protection against snow, rain, sun, debris and dust.
Things to Consider Before Purchase
There are several specific details, features and benefits of each hot tub cover that need to be fully considered before making a viable purchase decision.
Size & Dimensions of Hot Tub
Knowing the exact size and dimensions of your hot tub is the best way to ensure the best fitting cover for your hot tub. Hot tubs covers can come in many shapes and sizes so selecting one that has theideal measurements would be most suitable to your needs.
The best hot tub covers are made from highly durable materials that can withstand the wear and tear caused by natures elements. Wind, rain, sun, snow and debris can all damage your hot tub so having a cover that is made from high-quality materials that offer substantial protection against such elements is a must.
A particular type of color preference can also help to narrow down the list of options. Dark colors are better for heat absorption while lighter colors help reflect heat. The best hot tub covers offer a variety of custom color options to best suit customer needs.
What type of warranty is being offered by the manufacturer and on what terms?
The Best Hot Tub Cover for Winter?
A careful review of the eight best hot tub covers available in the market makes it clear that each hot tub cover has its own unique pros and cons. The ideal hot tub cover depends on customer priorities.
Each hot tub cover on this list is made to be resilient and tough even in the most extreme winter days. However, each has its own strengths and weaknesses as to how it manages to protect your hot tub from the elements and to what extent and for how long.
The question then as to what is the best hot tub cover for winter or for snow all comes down to customer preferences as all the hot tub covers on this list could be ideal additions to your home spa or hot tub.