The main function of any hot tub is to deliver an invigorating spa experience which can only get amplified with glistering spa water. Any kind of dirt or contamination can spoil your mesmerizing experience.
At a Glance: Our Top Recommendations for Best Hot Tub Chemicals:
- Best overall: Spa Essentials 32305000 Brominating Tablets
- Best hot tub chemicals brand: Clorox Pool&Spa 23006CLXCA Xtra Blue
- Best hot tub chemicals for sensitive skin: Hot Tub Things Chlorine Starter Kits
- Best non-chlorine hot tub chemicals: Leisure Time Spa Disinfectant Brom Tabs
The Best 12 Hot Tub Chemicals
Table of Contents
- 1 The Best 12 Hot Tub Chemicals
- 1.1 1. Spa Essentials 32305000 Brominating Tablets
- 1.2 2. Clorox Pool&Spa 23006CLXCA Xtra Blue
- 1.3 3. Leisure Time Spa Sanitizer Spa 56
- 1.4 4. SpaGuard Spa Chlorinating Concentrate
- 1.5 5. Hot Tub Things Chlorine Starter Kits
- 1.6 6. SpaChoice 472-3-5081 Chlorine Granules
- 1.7 7. Kem-Tek 177 1-Inch Chlorinating Tablets for Pool and Spa
- 1.8 8. Leisure Time Spa Disinfectant Brom Tabs
- 1.9 9. Bromine Tablets for Hot Tubs by Spa Depot
- 1.10 10. SpaGuard Enhanced Spa Shock 6
- 1.11 11. Oxy-Spa- Non-Chlorine Hot Tub & Pool MPS
- 1.12 12. Leisure Time Spa Shock Renew Non-Chlorine Shock
- 2 Chemicals for your Bathtub – A Buying Guide
- 3 Quick Tips to Balance the Sanitization Levels of Your Hot Tub
- 4 Frequently Asked Questions
- 5 Conclusion
To make your spa water crystal clear, several types of chemicals are available in the market. Chlorine and Bromine are the dominant, mineral sanitizer is an eco-friendly way to make your spa water free from microorganisms. To choose the right sanitizer, it is important to understand the basic features of the best sanitizers available in the market
Here are the 12 Best Hot Tub Chemicals which are available to deliver a ‘clean’ spa experience:
1. Spa Essentials 32305000 Brominating Tablets
- It has lesser pH sensitivity.
- It keeps your spa water chlorine odor free
- It can be applied conveniently through brominator or tablet floater.
- No convenient packaging available and sometimes causes the damage in-transit.
These are compressed 1” bromine tablets which control the bacteria in your spa effectively. It ensures long-lasting protection and very easy to use. Those who are sensitive to Chlorine can switch to this sanitization process efficiently. To ensure a proper use, try to use it with floating ‘feeder’.
It maintains the correct chemical levels for your spa water, keeping it safe in a long run. It is absolutely safe to use and does not cause any skin irritation or cloth discoloration.
2. Clorox Pool&Spa 23006CLXCA Xtra Blue
- A multipurpose chemical which can be used as a shock, sanitizer, and algaecide.
- Compatible with all types of pools including chlorine and salt pools.
- Effective in reducing chlorine odor and skin irritation.
- Completely justify its prices.
- Not meant for covered hot tubs.
- It leaves white flakes as residue.
With its effective protection against bacteria and algae, it keeps the spa water crystal clear. Just one pound of the chemical can effectively treat up to 53000 gallons of water. This is an easy spa chlorinator which is very easy to use. For above ground pools with algae issues, it works miraculously.
This is a cost-effective solution for a crystal spa experience. However, avoid using it for the covered hot tubs as it may lead to a mess.
3. Leisure Time Spa Sanitizer Spa 56
- Compatible with all type of hot tubs, preheated pools, and spas.
- Also used to serve for shock treatments for hot tubs and spa.
- Maintains the natural balance of spa water by maintaining the pH balance.
- It takes time to clean the spa water.
It is an effective solution to clean your spa water. With its quick dissolving abilities, it is very easy to use. By maintaining the pH balance, it does not hit the natural balance of water and efficiently kills the bacteria as well as other inseparable impurities. For a super chlorine treatment, also referred to shock treatment, 1 oz of chemical is sufficient to treat 500 gallons of water.
However, it is recommended not to use the pool for 10-15 days after any such treatment to avoid the hazardous effects of harsh chemicals used in shock treatments.
4. SpaGuard Spa Chlorinating Concentrate
- Quick dissolving
- Both an oxidizer and sanitizer
- Easy to apply with no pre-dissolving needed
- Can easily expire before the product is finished due to the large size
It comes with a fast-acting formula to ensure that you get a safe hot tub within minutes. And one superb thing is the ability to act as an oxidizer and sanitizer. What that means is you only buy one product, and you can take care of your facility to maintain 3-5 ppm.
Another thing to note is you can add this product directly to your spa since there is no dissolving needed.
The huge package ensures you get enough chemicals to treat your hot tub for months without visiting the market.
5. Hot Tub Things Chlorine Starter Kits
- Ideal for starting a hot tub after winter
- Comes from a reputable brand
- Safe for use in water bodies
- Exclusively made for swimming pool use
The package includes every chemical you would need to start your hot tub after winter or even a new one. It is a kit you can trust since it comes from a reputable brand and is produced in the USA.
You enjoy it safely since the chemicals are tested for quality and guarantee you effective performance. Note that the product is made for a spa and hot tub, especially safe for sensitive skin and it provides you with only pure chemicals.
You also get value for money since you have everything in one place.
6. SpaChoice 472-3-5081 Chlorine Granules
- An effective chemical to prevent algae and kill bacteria.
- Detailed user instruction manual available.
- Enhance the chlorine life by protecting it against UV rays.
- Works effectively by getting dissolved quickly into the water.
- A true value for money product.
- Provided in a container, which users find hard to open.
This product ensures a steady source of chlorine to clean your hot tub water effectively. Against a perception that the granules take time to dissolve, it quickly dissolves with your spa water and starts working immediately. It kills all the organic contaminants and kills bacteria without disturbing the pH levels. A 500-gallon hot tub water will require as low as a level teaspoon which is 0.17 ounces approximately. Overall, a good deal considering its prices and varies features.
7. Kem-Tek 177 1-Inch Chlorinating Tablets for Pool and Spa
- It can easily resist crumbling.
- It does not let the chlorine to burn down under the sun.
- It is effective for long-lasting sanitation.
- One of the easiest forms of pool chlorination.
- It may lead to excessive foaming.
The manufacturer offers a live 24X7 customer support. It ensures a hassle-free chlorination of your hot tub and works effectively. It comes in variants of 4-pound, 15-pounds, and 24-pounds. It conveniently prevents the algae contamination in your hot tub.
These tablets should be handled using gloves else it may cause skin irritation.
8. Leisure Time Spa Disinfectant Brom Tabs
- It works well with the bromine sanitizing systems.
- It comes with an advanced low dust formulation.
- Competitive with the pricing.
- Easy to install.
- It ensures a hassle-free maintenance of your hot tub.
- There are several other sanitizers which are more effective in this range.
- Mineral stick with copper turns green.
With this sanitizer, there is no requirement of Bromine or chlorine. It can maintain your spa bacteria free and maintain it for up to 4 months. Compatible with all types of spa, it is a natural and eco-friendly mineral purification. By preventing algae, it ensures the filter efficiency.
It works well with non-chlorine shocks but when it comes to performance, it is not as much competition as the other sanitizers in this category.
9. Bromine Tablets for Hot Tubs by Spa Depot
- It avoids any strong odor.
- Contains 98% active ingredients.
- More effective than the sanitizers in the similar range.
- It does not dissolve fast.
Priced moderately, this chemical comes in a sturdy packaging with a lid which is child safe. Compared to the larger pails, it stays fresh for longer duration. These are slow dissolving tablets and can be used optimally in the warm waters. It is an economical proposition which effectively treats the bacteria and algae. It is equally suitable to inflatable hot tub and can be refilled easily.
10. SpaGuard Enhanced Spa Shock 6
- A powerful shock treatment to remove contaminants from spa water.
- Works well with bromine, ionization, chlorine and ozone systems.
- Articulately manages the delicate pH level of your spa water.
- Works instantly within 15 minutes
- It is not much efficient in handling grease.
Just 3 tablespoons of this effective chemical clean the 50 gallons of water. A worthy shock treatment to buy, it justifies its prices. Compared to other brands, it allows you saving few bucks with its minimal usage. All the contaminants can be removed using this chemical, to keep the spa water safe and sparkling.
You can instantly use the spa water after using this chemical for shock treatment.
11. Oxy-Spa- Non-Chlorine Hot Tub & Pool MPS
- Convenient packing of 2 bottles.
- Optimal cleaning is ensured with its mono persulfate content.
- It is in granule form.
- The chemical is only 70% of its pack.
Equipped with the highest Active Oxygen – Monopersulfate Oxidizing Shock, it is one of the most effective shock treatments you can ever introduce to your hot tub. Its unsurpassed quality let it outperform with the other brands in this range. The effortless 2-bottle package ensures the easy usage of this chemical.
To enhance its working further, it has been prepared in the granule forms to keep the spa water clear with lasting effect. The only glitch is the quantity of this chemical which accounts only 70% of its actual packaging.
12. Leisure Time Spa Shock Renew Non-Chlorine Shock
- Universal compatibility which allows it to work well with mineral purification, chlorine, ozone, and bromine.
- Available in a bulk packaging which is price effective too.
- Prevents any type of pH fluctuations.
- It can destroy deodorants, microorganisms, oils, and soaps.
- Efficiently eliminated the contaminants and chlorine odors.
- A fast non-chlorine oxidizer, which dissolved quickly to clean your spa water.
- It foams a lot.
Leisure time is an undisputed leader in offering excellent products in spa water care. There is a simple-to-follow instruction guide helps you use it with more convenience. Compatible with all types of all type of purification systems, it is available in bulk packaging.
Chemicals for your Bathtub – A Buying Guide
As there are several types of chemicals available in the market, let’s have a look at their broader classifications:
- Chlorine: For great shock treatments, Chlorine is considered to be the best. The cloudy water can be prevented by using the chlorine sanitizers along with mineral sanitizer.
- Bromide: To ensure continuous sanitizations, Bromide chemicals are the best deal. Also available in the form of a tablet, you just need to insert it into the bromide feeder.
- Mineral Sanitizers: With its silver ion and copper ion technology, these types of sanitizers are eco-friendly and come with almost no side effects. Mostly, these sanitizers are odorless and natural.
Quick Tips to Balance the Sanitization Levels of Your Hot Tub
- The sanitizer levels should be measured from the strip, which measures alkalinity and pH levels.
- If you are using bromine or chlorine, it is recommended to use them in granules form.
- Always refer the user manual to understand the quantity of chemical required to sanitize certain gallons of water.
- A sanitizer which is easy to maintain in the long run should be on your preference list.
- It is advisable to seek the opinion of the various chemicals from its existing users to ensure its performance and potential.
- Specific instructions provided in the user-manual must be followed to ensure efficient sanitization.
- If you receive any negative effect from any product you choose, always refer the doctor and avoid using the chemical with the immediate effect.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What Hot Tub Chemicals Do I Need?
A: Your hot tub requires several chemicals: pH adjuster (increaser or decreaser), non-chlorine shock, sequestering agent, sanitizer, calcium, and defoamer. These chemicals can allow you to open your hot tub the right way.
Q: Where to Buy Hot Tub Chemicals?
A: You can purchase your hot tub chemicals from multiple stores, including online and your local pool store. We recommend you buy your chemicals from online stores since you get to choose from a variety of brands.
Q: Can You Use Hot Tub Chemicals in a Pool?
A: The answer is yes and no. Some pH adjusters, clarifiers, alkalinity adjusters, and algaecides can work for pool and hot tubs.
However, some pool chemicals are intended for large water bodies and should not be used in a hot tub.
It is judicial to use a combination of a chemical and mineral sanitizer to have exceptional sanitization effects in the longer run. It’s always better to trust a renowned player in the market due to their sensitivity to the customer grievances. Along with comparing the prices, you should also consider various pros and cons offered by a particular product. Prefer a sanitizer which can largely fit into your parameters. It should also be easy to install and use as well.