Nobody likes to talk about pool maintenance, and I would agree with that except that we all need to do it. Our pools turn green and the water starts to look cloudy if we don’t take care of them.
What is even worse is if we use all our earnings trying to get our facilities cleaned by a professional or buying cleaning chemicals. If that sounds familiar, then there is a solution for you: using the BBB method for pool.
What is the BBB Method?
Table of Contents
BBB are letters that denote Borax, Baking Soda, and Bleach. With the three products at your hands, the only chemical you will need is Muriatic Acid.
You can easily get borax from your local laundry outlet in the grocery section and it helps to boost the pool pH. As a pool owner, you might be aware that the pH affects many factors such as the effectiveness of the bleach and how the water will affect the swimmer.
For instance, if you swim in a pool with unbalanced pH, your eyes will get irritated, get red skin and eye, and even itchy skin. The ideal pH level should be between 7.2-7.6, and you can achieve that by adding a 0.5 teaspoon of borax to 26 gallons of water.
Baking Soda increases the level of total alkalinity in your facility. TA is critical since it helps to maintain the ideal pH level of a pool in the perfect condition, which then lets the bleach to get rid of bacteria and other contaminants.
You should add a 0.5 teaspoon of Baking Soda to treat 26 gallons of water.
The active ingredient in this product is sodium hypochlorite. It is the same ingredient found in chlorine.
In the BBB method, this product functions like a sanitizer that helps to prevent dangerous organisms from growing in your swimming pool. You should add two teaspoons of bleach to 26 gallons of water.
How BBB Method of Pool Maintenance Works
CarlD developed a summary of how the BBB method works when cleaning your swimming pool.
- It is a simple method than you would imagine. The BBB method doesn’t involve any formula or magic.
- You only need to deal with the pH and chlorine level. Everything other thing is secondary.
- The method recommends you boost the pH using 20 Mule Team Borax that you can get from your local store. It also requires you to reduce the pH using Muriatic Acid that you can get from your local hardware.
- TA is used as a buffer to stabilize the pH. You can raise TA using Baking Soda.
- Chlorine stabilizer (cyanuric acid, CAY) keeps the sun’s ray from breaking the chlorine down fast.
- Calcium (calcium hardness) should be monitored for concrete pools but it doesn’t affect vinyl ones.
- Other swimming pool chemicals are useless or junk. You only need some of them if things go wrong.
- You cannot buy “shock” (it is a verb) – you shock your pool by boosting the chlorine level (adding bleach).
- You require the right testing kit to test your swimming pool.
Essential of BBB Method
All the chemicals and products might be confusing, but the aim is to ensure that you have a sanitized pool, by killing algae and germs, and clear, by maintaining the ideal pH level. It also involves having enough chlorine for burning up the material that cannot be removed by the filter.
Two things that you should keep in mind are:
- Chlorine is used to sanitize the pool
- pH ensures that you have a neutral pool
The recommended chlorine level is 5% of 2 ppm or CYA, whichever is higher. That means maintaining 4 ppm for 80 CYA or 2 ppm for 40 CYA.
Advantages of BBB Pool Method
There are a lot of benefits that you can get if you use the BBB method to maintain your pool. They include:
- Time – BBB pool method is a time saver. You don’t mix any chemical that can waste a lot of time before you get the ideal proportion. Besides, you don’t need to hire an expert to do that for you.
- Affordable – It is a cheaper option when you compare it to other pool cleaning methods. You can get all these products from your local store.
- Zero Mistakes – The probability of getting it wrong is almost impossible since these products are friendly.
- Maintain Pool – These products can maintain your swimming pool 365 days. You can jump into your pool immediately after treating it.
Things to Know About BBB Method
There are things that you should keep in mind to ensure that your BBB method is effective.
- Muriatic Acid – It is used to lower the TA and pH level. It is safer than using dry acids that can stain your swimming pool. You should use 31% of this acid and keep in mind that TA and pH are twins.
- Good Test Kit – You will need to get the best testing kit to ensure that you get the ideal level of pH and TA. Depending on the climate, you should test your pool once per week or daily.
- Know the Pool Size – Most chemicals come in the measurement of treating 10,000 gallons of water. Thus, you should know the size of your inground or above ground pool.
BBB Method Conclusion
Part of enjoying a well-maintained pool is setting time for cleaning it and have the right filter and tools. The reasoning of the BBB method is that you use only what you need – you don’t add a chemical because it “might help”.
One thing you should note is that pool stores and companies want to make money, and they do that if your pool gets messed up. If you adopted the BBB method, you can forgo the many chemicals sold by these brands.
BBB pool method is a proven technique that works. We hope that you can now maintain your swimming pool using the most cost-effective and safe method.